Registration for the 2021 Local Food Box Program is open. Please read on for information about changes to our registration system and to our box program, as well as farm updates…or skip it and just go straight to our sign-up!
New Membership Management Platform
We have signed on with a new membership management platform this year, the Open Food Network Canada (OFN). This non-profit organization’s mission is to “develop open and shared resources, knowledge and software to support a better food system”. They are aligned with our values… as well as our budget!
The new sign-up process is pretty straightforward but it is different from our previous registration system. We have put together step by step instructions for navigating the new registration system, they are at the bottom of this post.
- Second pickup day at Wind Whipped Farm. In order to accommodate more members for on-farm pickup we are adding an on-farm pickup day and extending the on-farm pickup window. Local Food Box members can choose either pickup at Wind Whipped Farm, on Tuesdays or Fridays, from 3:30-6pm.
- No pickup in Victoria? In past years, boxes were available for pickup in Victoria at the Cook Street Activity Centre. We will not offer box pickup at this location in 2021. If you are not able to pickup your box in Metchosin you can sign up for our “Victoria Waiting List” and we will let you know what in-town location may be available.
- Change to skips/holds. Our new membership management system does not have a function for managing vacation holds/skipped pickups like our old system did. You will still be able to skip one pickup in the season if you let us know by email at least 48 hrs in advance of the pickup. Instead of an extra box at the end of the season we will provide you with farm credit for on-farm purchase or towards next year’s box program.
- No late pickups. In the past we have tried to provide the option for members to come to the farm to retrieve items from a missed/forgotten pickup. In order to streamline management, we are no longer offering this option. We can hold on to frozen meats, eggs and honey until the next pickup but not vegetables or flowers. If you can’t make it to a pickup you are welcome to send someone else on your behalf.
- New greenhouse. We are in the process of completing construction of a 100 ft greenhouse at Wind Whipped Farm. Once completed, this will enable us to grow more heat loving crops like tomatoes and peppers. We also hope to increase the amount and diversity of crops we are able to offer in early spring and late fall.
- Wind Whipped expansion. Wind Whipped Farm is expanding to be able to grow more field crops, including potatoes, corn, winter squash and eventually more perennial fruit plants. We are working on deer/bear fencing, drainage, levelling, and irrigation and hope to grow our first crop of potatoes in the new field this summer.
Please review the following instructions before proceeding to registration:
- On the OFN Local Food Box registration page, Select your preferred on-farm pickup day (Tuesday or Friday from 3:30-6pm) or choose the Victoria Waiting List option from the dropdown menu (red, upper right corner).
- You will be directed to the “shop” page. Select the items you want in your “shopping cart”.
- Click on the “shopping cart” icon (upper right corner) to review your order.
- Click the “checkout” button (lower right). Before being able to checkout you will be directed to create a Login account.
- Click “Login” then select the “Sign Up” tab. Enter your email address, create a password and click “Sign up now”.
- An email from email@example.com with a confirmation link will be sent to your email address (if you do not see it please check your junk/spam folder). Open the email and click “confirm this email address”. You will now be able to login and proceed to Checkout.
- Enter your contact and billing information, choose your payment method (credit card, e-transfer, or cheque) and agree to the “terms and conditions”. If you have selected the “Victoria Waiting List” please choose the “waiting list – no payment now” payment option.
- When you are finished click “place order now”. You will receive a confirmation email with the details of your order and payment instructions. If paying by e-transfer please send your payment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your account balance in OFN will be updated within 48 hours. If paying by credit card in instalments please save your card details on file with OFN so that we can process your card when the next instalment is due.
You can check your Local Food Box membership account (orders, balance owing, etc.) any time by logging in and selecting “profile” then “account” (upper right) on the OFN Local Food Box page. If you have a problem with the registration process or payment options, please contact OFN directly for assistance at email@example.com and mention The Local Food Box in your email.
If you have questions about the box program see Frequently Asked Questions or contact us. On behalf of your Local Food Box farmers, thank you for appreciating and supporting local food.
Alex & Virginie
No comments yet.